DIRECTIVE NO. 179 - 2021 - THOROUGHBRED AND QUARTER HORSE
The Rules Governing Horse Racing in Alberta are AMENDED as follows:
Chapter 3: General Horse Racing Rules, Part 2 Race Meetings, Division 2 Division 2 Entries and Nominations
The following Rule 163 t is AMENDED to read:
Rule 163 t Prohibitions on entries
1) Subject to subrule (2), if a *horse is aged 13 years or more:
a) the horse is ineligible for; and
b) a person must not enter or start the horse in, any *race
2) The *stewards board may give their express permission for a *horse aged 13 years to start in a *race/s during its 13-year-old racing season, if:
a) the trainer provides to the *stewards board a veterinary report in respect of the horse's condition and suitability to race, and any other information, examination or report as required by the *stewards board; and
b) the *stewards board are satisfied that the horse is suitable to race.
3) Any permission granted by the *stewards board under subrule (2) expires at the conclusion of the *horse's 13-year-old racing season, or earlier as provided by the *stewards board.
4) Upon a *horse turning 14 years of age, it is immediately retired and de-registered under these Alberta Rules and is ineligible to race, trial or be trained.
5) If a *horse aged 13 years participates in any *race without the permission of the *stewards board in accordance with this rule, or if a *horse over 13 years participates in a *race, the *horse may be disqualified from the relevant *race.
Rule 163 t Prohibitions on entries previously stated:
(1) Seven year old and older *horses who are *maidens may not be entered in major thoroughbred *horse races.