The Mara Coote Freeman Memorial Award has been created to honour the memory of a great horsewoman, teacher, mentor, volunteer and passionate supporter of the horse industry. The award will benefit students in the Olds College Racetrack Programs, as recognition of Mara’s commitment to education and good horsemanship.
Mara was an integral part of the Olds College Racetrack Programs, first as a coordinator, and then as an instructor and mentor. Mara was deeply committed to the students, and she endeavoured to help both Groom and Exercise Rider students advance their horsemanship skills. Mara was an advocate for lifelong learning, safety and horse welfare for all breeds and all disciplines. As a Horse Racing Alberta board member, she was dedicated to the people and horses in the sport of horse racing.
The Mara Coote Freeman Memorial Award will be a lasting legacy for the future of the horse industry. An initial Endowment Fund has been established with Olds College, and an annual Bursary of $1000.00 will be made annually to a student in each of the two Racetrack Programs.
The Bursary award will be open to students in the Professional Racetrack Groom and Professional Racetrack Exercise Rider Programs beginning in 2021.
- Bursary will be available to enrolled, full-time students who demonstrate a commitment to both the academic and hands-on course requirements
- $1,000 to a student in Professional Racetrack Groom Program offered annually
- $1,000 to a student in Professional Racetrack Exercise Rider Program offered annually
Make a Donation
Horse Racing Alberta is pleased to present the Mara Coote Freeman Memorial Award to recognize the passion and dedication that Mara had for the horse industry. HRA has donated $5,000 and we’re asking our industry stakeholders and their members to help us reach the goal of $10,000 before December 15, 2020. We’re asking our stakeholder organizations and their members to help us establish the Mara Coote Freeman Memorial Award by donating in honour of her legacy and investing in the future horsemen and horsewomen entering the Alberta horse industry.
- Make cheque payable to Olds College
- Reference: Mara Coote Freeman Memorial Award
- Mail cheque to:
4500 50th Street
Olds, AB T4H 1R6
- Please call Olds College Office of Development at 403-556-8257
- Donations can be made via credit card over the phone
- Tax Receipts for Donations: A Canadian tax receipt will be issued for donations over $25.00 by Olds College