Here we are at Century Downs and we are still in need of sponsors for our monthly awards. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. These are the 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
- Top Groom – Dana Keshane – Sponsor Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society of AB
- Pony Person – Robin Cook – Sponsor Century Casinos
- Exercise Rider – Kwame Joseph – Sponsor Century Casinos
- Shedrow of the Month – Greg Tracy Stable – Sponsor Century Casinos
- The HBPA of AB is holding monthly BBQ Fundraisers to raise money for the Backstretch Accident fund. Please come over and make your donation to support. The next fundraiser will be Wednesday October 2nd- $5 for a hot dog and a drink.
- Cam Powley and Joanne Davis Memorial - Saturday September 28th at 1:00 pm. This is a come and go event with a blanket presentation. Please come and raise a glass to “The Hen and Mr Lee “after the 5thrace.
- C Cup Classic - There is a Charity horse races in support of the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada., at Century Downs October 5th. We are looking for sponsors, horse entries, and riders so if anyone is interested in being a part of “On Track to Beat Cancer” and the C Cup Classic they can contact Jean Kruse or Theresa Sealy. To sponsor a rider online go to the To sponsor a rider online go to the online pledge site.
- Pony contest on C cup Classic Day with first, second and 3rd prize. The theme is the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada and of course brains!
- HBPA Thanksgiving Dinner – A Thanksgiving Dinner will be offered compliments of the HBPA of Alberta on Saturday October 12th at 12:30 pm in the Homestretch Room on the 2nd level of the grandstand. Please see Theresa Sealy for tickets.
- Horsemen’s Appreciation Lunch – Century Downs is holding an appreciation lunch for all all participants licensed by HRA for the 2019 Thoroughbred meet On Thursday October 24th 2nd level Home stretch room from 11:30 am until 1 pm.
- Refund of WCB Premiums for HBPA trainer members - Since it is a requirement for Trainers to carry WCB coverage for workers, the board of the HBPA of Alberta will continue to offer a rebate to help offset this cost in 2019. The rebate is based on $5/start at Century Mile and Century Downs and is available to trainers who provide a clearance letter from WCB of their good standing with the WCB of Alberta. If you need help to acquire your clearance letter, please see Theresa Sealy.
- HBPA suite at Century Downs - Oct 19th both rooms are booked for the race day. Century has set aside 2 tables in the homestretch room for the HBPA for that day so they have 2 tables along the window to watch so you have somewhere to sit
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up application forms from Theresa Sealy. Deadline for applications is October 25th.
- Thoroughbred Lasting Careers and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.