The first hooves will hit the mile long track this Friday.
Edmonton, AB – Century Mile Racetrack and Casino, which is being constructed northeast of the Edmonton International Airport, invites you to witness the first horses galloping on our mile-long racetrack at 3:00 pm, Friday, October 26th.
Construction of the Century Mile Racetrack began in the summer of 2017. This Friday will be the first-time horses gallop the track. The first official races will occur in Spring 2019. Come witness the first hooves to imprint on the track and see the continuation of a tradition that dates back longer than Alberta has been a province.
The Century Mile facility contains the only mile-long Class A horse racing track west of Ontario. This is Century Casino’s second horse racing track in Alberta joining the successful Century Downs located just north of Calgary which opened in 2015.
Horse racing began in Edmonton in 1882, on a rough track located in (what would become) Downtown Edmonton. From 1900 until 2018 horse racing has been hosted at Northlands Park. Starting in the Spring of 2019, Century Mile Racetrack and Casino is excited to continue the tradition of horse racing in Alberta. The track will showcase thoroughbred and standardbred racing, and host the Canadian Derby, a true Edmonton tradition.
This invite-only event is open to the press. Leading Alberta Thoroughbred Trainer, Tim Rycroft will be on hand along with members of the Horse Racing Alberta Board, the Alberta Standardbred Horse Association and the Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association.
For more information and directions, please contact Nathan Kusiek.
Please see below for an overview of the Century Mile Racetrack and Casino.
Overview of the Century Mile Racetrack and Casino Project
- Century Mile Inc. is fully owned by Century Casinos Europe, which is a holding company within Century Casinos, Inc.’s group of companies.
- Century Mile signed the land lease with Edmonton International Airport in June 2017. It is a 20 years lease with six extensions of five years each. The size of the leased land is 101 acres.
- Century Casinos has secured full financing for the project.
- Total project costs are now estimated between CAD $62 to $65 million.
- Century Mile contractors and consultants:
- BR2 Architecture as architects and interior designers;
- Stantec Inc. for civil engineering;
- Chandos Construction as general contractor;
- Superior Buildings & Design Ltd. as contractor to construct the barns.
- The planned opening date of the Racing Entertainment Centre:
- Casino: April 1, 2019.
- Racetrack: April 29, 2019
Racing Entertainment Centre (REC)
- The REC building is 96,667 square feet
- Main Floor - 45, 353 Slot floor capable of holding over 800+ slot machines
- Restaurant - 150 seats
- Off Track Betting (OTB) - 150 seats
- Lounge - 65 seats
- Feature Bar
- South elevator - Access basement, 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors
- North Freight Elevator - Access basement, 1st and 2nd floors
- Main Kitchen
- Second Floor – 29,504 Tiered Seating Restaurant - Seats 274
- OTB/Banquet Room - Seats 150
- Luxury Suite A - Seats 48 plus balcony
- Luxury Suite B - Seats 48 plus balcony
- Luxury Suite C - Seats 40 plus balcony
- Multi-Suite D - Seats 60 - Square Footage
- Prep Kitchen
- Public Grand Stand - Seats 300
- Public window viewing areas
- Administrative Offices/Executive Boardroom
- Third and Fourth Floors - 5,003 square feet
- Future Rooftop Patio
- Judges and Announcer quarters
- Basement - 16,807 square feet
- Jockey Quarters
- Administrative Offices
- Back of House Staff Facilities
- Land size 41 ha - 101 acres
- Length Track: 8 furlong = 1 mile = 1.6 kilometers
- Standardbred, Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse
- Two barns with 800+ stalls
- Occupying approximately 179,000 square feet
- Horse Racing Alberta and Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency required test barn, veterinarian space, and regulatory office
- Elevated exterior bleacher seating to accommodate over 300 guests
- Over 824 paved parking stalls with 869 additional grass parking stalls for large events
- Paddock Area
- Apron - located track level between the track and REC with F&B and wagering
- Second floor large banquet room with paddock view can be used as an OTB or event space
- EIA - Airport Traffic 7.8 Million in 2017
- Shuttle Service from Airport
- ETS Bus Service from Edmonton
- Premium Outlet Collection - Major Shopping Complex opened May 2, 2017
- Costco opened in autumn of 2018
- Marriot Brand Hotel opening Jan/2019
- 3000 Area Hotel Rooms