We are all feeling a little melancholy leaving Northlands Park for the last time. Those memories will last us a lifetime. But it is a time for new beginnings, and we are at Century Downs! Looking forward to a long relationship and wonderful new memories.
“Every ending is making space for an exciting new beginning”
Thank you to Rod Haynes, Equine Extreme, and Century Downs for sponsoring the remaining awards for 2018.
Monthly Awards for July
- Backstretch Person – Larry Dagg - Award sponsor – Rod Haynes Stables
- Pony Person – Kolina Crowe - Award sponsor – Equine Extreme
- Exercise Rider –– Fay Grant - Award Sponsor – Rod Haynes Stables
- Shedrow of the month – Dee Walper Stable - Award Sponsor – Equine Extreme
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in August!
- Free Backstretch BBQ – Friday September 7th 11 am – 1 pm at the backstretch food truck. Hamburger or Smoky with a bag of chips and a drink will be served. Courtesy of Dr Steve Smith and the Backstretch Foundation.
- Owners and Trainers coming to the races at Century Downs – The HBPA would like to invite you to the hospitality suite at the north end of the second level of the grandstand for an inside viewing area with a few snacks and drinks.
- 2018 Alberta Breeders’ Fall Classic - Sunday, September 16th will be the first time the Alberta Breeders’ Fall Classic has been held at Century Downs Racetrack. Join us as we celebrate everything made in Alberta. From our fabulous Alberta bred Thoroughbreds to the amazing Albertans who are behind some of the best products in the world. The Made in Alberta Marketplace will be at Century Downs bringing together some of the favourite vendors you saw in Edmonton to some brand new ones from the Calgary and surrounding areas. #ABBredsrock
- The 2018 CTHS AB Sale is Wednesday September 19th at 2:00 pm at Olds Regional Exhibition Mega Dome. For more information go to CTHS 2018 Sale
- We’re “On Track to Beat Cancer”, October 6th, 2018! If you have the “balls” then join us on Sunday, October 6th for the annual “On Track to Beat Cancer” day at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino. We’ll be raising funds for the Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre with the feature race of the day, the C Cup Classic. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian men (excluding non-melanoma skin cancers). It is the 3rd leading cause of death from cancer in men in Canada. On average, 58 Canadian men were diagnosed with prostate cancer every day. On average, 11 Canadian men died from prostate cancer every day. The “Man Van” will be on site in the backstretch on October 6th from 10:30 a.m. to noon.! - Canada’s first and only mobile men’s health clinic, offering free PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) blood testing for men aged 40-80! When detected early it is very treatable. A PSA blood test from a 10 minute trip to the MAN VAN can aid in early detection. To Support your team and donate to Prostrate Cancer go to On Track to Beat Prostrate Cancer
- Thanksgiving Dinner – A Thanksgiving Dinner will be offered compliments of the HBPA of Alberta on Saturday October 6th at 6:30 pm in the Homestretch Room on the 2nd level of the grandstand. Please see Theresa Sealy for tickets.
- Century Downs Track Hours - Race Days: 7am-10am (no break), Dark Days: 7am-11am (break 9-9:30am), Gate Up for Workers : Wed & Fri 8-9am, Gate Up for Schooling: Wed & Fri 9:30-11am, Sat 8-10am. Track Closed Mondays...or (Tuesdays if racing Monday) Track will close early Fall Classic Day September 16th at 9 am.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy
- TLC and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.