Happy spring horsemen! Let’s hope the snow will finally stay away and many sunny days to come!
We are once again offering sponsorship for our hard working horsemen that deserve to be recognized. We would like to offer to Stables or Individuals to sponsor our Monthly awards for 2018 at $50/month. If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact Theresa Sealy for the information. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. You can pick the award recipient anonymously if you wish. There are 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
Monthly awards – Backstretch person, exercise rider, and pony person of the month.
Shedrow of the month – Award goes to the barn with the best appearance and respect for each other and neighbors.
- Backstretch Person – Nancy Jumpsen – Sponsored by Dr Reid Racing Stable
- Pony Person – Kimberley Dunsmore - Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Exercise Rider – Jordan Horsford – Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Shedrow of the Month - Jennifer Hunt Stables – Sponsored by The Backstretch Foundation
- Fundscrip Gift card fundraiser – This program lets us earn cash rebates for the Backstretch based on items you buy and use every day like groceries, gas, and household items. All you have to do is pay your purchases with gift cards bought at face value. Instead of paying with cash or debit card you use your gift card that you purchase through the Backstretch Foundation. Please see Theresa Sealy for more details. To sign up go to: https://www.fundscrip.com/Sign-Up.aspx?IID=FER6JE
- Trainer’s test – Anyone who is planning to write their Thoroughbred “A” Trainers or Assistant Trainers for 2018, please see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office.
- Sunday track closing at Northlands Park for training is June 3rd.
- Deadline for entries into the CTHS sale is Friday June 22nd - for sale contract go to CTHS 2018 sale consignor information. The 2018 sale is Wednesday September 19th at the Olds Regional Exhibition Megadome.
- The C Cup Classic race will be on Saturday, October 6th at Century Downs and this year will be raising funds for the Calgary Prostate Cancer Centre. The Man Van will be there! We will be looking for sponsors and riders so if anyone is interested in being a part of “On Track to Beat Cancer” and/or the C Cup Classic they can contact Jean Kruse, Theresa Sealy, or Kirsty Luft-Nault.
- Canadian Amateur Jockeys Association is looking for jockeys! They are working to have a few races in 2018. If you are interested in becoming an amateur jockey, please contact Stephan Heiler or Theresa Sealy.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The instructors and students of The Racehorse Groom School and Exercise Rider/Jockey program would like to thank all of the trainers and backstretch workers for their help and patience during our ongoing learning period. Your participation is necessary and much appreciated for the success of these programs.Congratulations to all of the graduates of these programs. Your hard work and dedication is much welcomed.
- The CTHS of AB would like to send a big thank you to everyone who was at Night of Champions and celebrating the 2017 nominees and winners. It was wonderful to see 170 people from our industry at Chateau Lacombe on Saturday, May 19th. Photos of the event are posted on the CTHS website
- TLC and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.