Happy spring horsemen and welcome to Century Mile! Let’s hope the snow will finally stay away and many sunny days to come!
We are once again offering sponsorship for our hard working horsemen that deserve to be recognized. We would like to offer to Stables or Individuals to sponsor our Monthly awards for 2019 at $50/month. If you would like to be a sponsor, please contact Theresa Sealy for the information. Your name and the winner of your award will be printed in the monthly newsletter. You can pick the award recipient anonymously if you wish. There are 4 sponsorships each month up for offer:
- Monthly awards – Groom, exercise rider, and pony person of the month.
- Shedrow of the month – Award goes to the barn with the best appearance and respect for each other and neighbors.
- Top Groom – Kirbi Pfannmuller – Sponsor Century Mile
- Pony Person – Devon Stead and Teddy – Sponsor Century Mile
- Exercise Rider – Rick Bunney – Sponsor Century Mile
- Shedrow of the Month - Tom Rycroft Stable – Sponsor Century Mile
- The HBPA of AB is holding monthly BBQ Fundraisers to raise money for the Backstretch Accident fund. Please come over and make your donation to support. The next fundraiser will be Wednesday June 5th - $5 for a hot dog and a drink.
- Photographer Linda Finstad will be on site at Century Mile for a photo shoot June 14th. Linda will take action or portrait shots of you and upload the photos to her website http://asharperimage.photostockplus.com/products/ and you can pick your prints from there. Please see Theresa Sealy if you are interested. All graduates of the Racetrack programs are requested to be at the paddock at 12:00 pm for a Century Mile inaugural year group picture.
- Deadline for entries into the CTHS sale is Friday June 14th. For sale contract go to CTHS 2019 sale consignor information. The 2019 sale is Friday September 13th at Westerner Park, Red Deer Alberta.
- The C Cup Classic race will be on Saturday, October 5th at Century Downs and this year will be raising funds for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. We will be looking for sponsors and riders so if anyone is interested in being a part of “On Track to Beat Cancer” and/or the C Cup Classic they can contact Jean Kruse, Theresa Sealy, or Kirsty Luft-Nault.
- Golfers! Redtail Landing Golf Club is offering horsemen 20% off the rack rates for green fees valid any time!
- The HBPA of AB has moved – New address is #205, 5925 12th Street SE Calgary AB. T2H 2M3. 403-234-7499.
- Century Mile stall fees – Trainers please see the HBPA Bookkeeper ASAP to clear up your stall fees.
- Trainer’s test – Anyone who is planning to write their Thoroughbred “A” Trainers or Assistant Trainers for 2019, please see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office for your application.
- Canadian Amateur Jockeys Association is looking for jockeys! They are working to have a few races in 2019. If you are interested in becoming an amateur jockey, please contact Stephan Heiler or Theresa Sealy. A membership meeting is being planned for June 8th or 9th at Century Mile.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up application forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The instructors and students of The Racehorse Groom School and Exercise Rider/Jockey program would like to thank all of the trainers and backstretch workers for their help and patience during our ongoing learning period. Your participation is necessary and much appreciated for the success of these programs.Congratulations to all of the graduates of 2019. Your hard work and dedication is much welcomed.
- Thoroughbred Lasting Careers and CTHS have been getting requests from individuals looking for OTTBs. If you are looking to rehome or retire a TB off the track please contact the CTHS office at 403-229-3609.
Horse Racing Alberta