It's a dozen races programmed for this Saturday afternoon at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino. Two $ .20 PICK 5 plays (Race's 1 & 8) and a pair of $1 PICK 4 opportunities (Race's 3 & 9) highlight the wagering menu. The 'top class boys' will battle in Race 4 with the 'top class girls' lining up in Race 6 - both events will race for a purse of $10,500.00 and will have race favourite's CRACKLE N BURN and IF ONLY ID KNOWN looking for repeat victories.
Many will remember the Hot Tips Cafe, from back in the day, at Northlands Park. I spent many an afternoon there picking horses, while enjoying a bowl of wonton noodle soup - it was the best! I still remember the first time I ordered it... I walked into the track kitchen one afternoon and spotted Don Monkman Jr. enjoying this huge bowl of awesome... So it's up to the counter I go and I say "I'll have what he's having!" and from that point on I was hooked... Now I've tried wonton noodle soup all over Canada, since, but it never matched that huge bowl of awesome from Hot Tips Cafe.
This week's 'watch list' includes... GOLD ONTHEHORIZON (Phil Giesbrehcht) was shuffled back in her latest and when turning for home she was almost trailing the field. After finding room late she absolutely exploded to pass several in the stretch and get up for a strong closing third. She looks good to go in Race 9 - the opening leg of a Late PICK 4... SUNSET RIDER (Logan Gillis) was looking like a winner on the wide-side moving into the stretch last week, but got taken out by some interference that scattered many. Not saying he can win this time around, but he's worth a look at a price in Race 10... APPELLATE (Brandon Campbell) has been second-best in each of his last two outings and we'll be looking for him to circle them in Race 11. There's just so much early speed in here - I think the race sets up for him... He's gotta be my 'Play of the Day' with morning line odds of 9/2!
Driver's Brandon Campbell, Phil Giesbrecht, Jamie Gray and Dave Kelly look to have a decent line-up for the day, while trainer's Lance Ward and Rod Starkewski appear to have some great chances. Best of luck to all racing and playing!
Century Downs - Saturday, March 12
Post Time 2:15 (4:15 Eastern)
Sugar's Selections & Ticket Ideas
- R1 - 7531
- R2 - 3156
- R3 - 4362
- R4 - 6243
- R5 - 1673
- R6 - 2571
- R7 - 2756
- R8 - 7631
- R9 - 2541
- R10 - 6127
- R11 - 5734
- R12 - 8923
- Race 1 PICK 5 - 57 / 3 / 346 / 2346 / 13567 - $24 (.20 base)
- Race 3 PICK 4 - 346 / 2346 / 167 / 2 - $36 ($1 base)
- Race 8 PICK 5 - 67 / 245 / 126 / 57 / 2389 - $28.80 (.20 base)
- Race 9 PICK 4 - 245 / 126 / 57 / 289 - $54 ($1 base)
Late PICK 4 ANALYSIS
- 2 GOLD ONTHEHORIZON got caught in traffic last time; clear sailing will make her a serious threat to bounce back.
- 4 OUTLAW SPICED RUM was left alone on the lead last time and just jogged away from them with a quick final half.
- 5 BLUE STAR MYSTIC is always in the hunt and will be a must play again this time around; more than capable here.
- 1 SUNSET RIDER may have been a winner last time - had he not suffered interference when turning for home.
- 2 ROCKIN SHADOW his rare break last time took away every chance; he'll be looking to bounce back this week.
- 6 TAMI BLUE was a bang up third in her latest with a nice final quarter on the end; she can go with these.
- 5 APPELLATE just missed last time and continues to be sitting on a win; we're giving him a HUGE shot in this one.
- 7 CLASSY ARTIST closed well to be second-best in his latest; if he finds a good trip - he'll be right there with them.
- 2 TAGORAS has 3 wins in his last 4 outings, but is coming off a vet sick scratch; I wouldn't bet the farm on him.
- 8 SHOW STOP a much the best winner last week - his driver says 'he is super-impressive'; he just has to behave.
- 9 MOMAS SON BYRNE has missed a month of action and will leave from the back tier; he's your dark one here.