Day 2 of the 2022 harness racing meet at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino will go behind the gate this Saturday afternoon with a new post time of 2:15 (4:15 Eastern) going forward. There's 11 races on tap with a pair of $10,500 top class events highlighting the program in Race 5 (Fillies and Mares) and Race 7 (Horses and Geldings).
Catching up with Alberta's Brandon Campbell - he's off to a great start in 2022 as he finds himself listed in all - but one (driver money) - of the top 10 lists for 'Canadian Season Leaders - Drivers and Trainers' categories.
Campbell will be very busy this Saturday, driving in all - but one - race on the program... We've asked him about his thoughts on more than a few of his starters this weekend and he was kind enough to take some time from a busy morning to fill us in.
- Race 2 - 5 APPELLATE "I love this horse - he's so honest! He missed a month prior to his latest - so he'll be much tighter this week."
- Race 3 - 3 ROCKIN SHADOW "He's still learning, but does have lots of talent. I thought he would have won easier last time."
- Race 5 - 6 PURE ADDITION "Could be due for a trip. She got beat on the lead last time - so we'll see what happens behind the gate."
- Race 6 - 3 SNOOP DE LION "He's a nice big grinder and is a big class dropper this week. He'll likely be the choice in there."
- Race 7 - 5 CANADIAN PHAROH "It's been a long time since I've driven him. Not sure what to expect, but he's a class act!"
- Race 8 - 2 JEDI TRICKS "She came right back to herself last week and she could go on a tear here at the Downs - she just loves it here!"
- Race 10 - 1 JIM STRIKESITRICH "He's a bit awkward going, but he has a great attitude and will likely have a great shot this week."
- Race 11 - 4 SHOW STOP "I was super-impressed with him last time. He comes in with a clean line now and is definitely one to consider."
There you have it folks - right from the driver's mouth. Thanks so much Brandon and best of luck to all racing and playing this weekend at Century Downs Racetrack and Casino!
Century Downs - Saturday, March 5
- Race 1 - 1354
- Race 2 - 5231
- Race 3 - 3651
- Race 4 - 2563
- Race 5 - 1562
- Race 6 - 3512
- Race 7 - 7631
- Race 8 - 2143
- Race 9 - 2684
- Race 10 - 2361
- Race 11 - 6489
- Race 1 PICK 5 - 13 / 5 / 356 / 256 / 15 - $7.20 (.20 base)
- Race 3 PICK 4 - 356 / 256 / 15 / 35 - $36 ($1 base)
- Race 7 PICK 5 - 367 / 2 / 2468 / 236 / 46 - $14.40 (.20 base)
- Race 8 PICK 4 - 2 / 2468 / 236 / 46 - $24 ($1 base)
Late PICK 4 ANALYSIS
- 2 JEDI TRICKS was awesome last week and if she's as good - this time around - a repeat is very possible against these.
- 2 LITIZOR did not disappoint as the heavy favourite last time out; we'll expect him to be a solid player again.
- 4 DRIVE AWAY has missed 3 weeks of racing action, but anything close to his 'A' game will put him in the hunt.
- 6 CRAZY I M a decent third in his latest and it was not the easiest of trips; he'll be worth a look again.
- 8 BLACKISBACKJACK another tough outside post, but he overcame it last week to race up close; beware.
- 2 BONUS ROUND was all dressed up with no place to go last time; we're expecting a big effort this week.
- 3 SOLID SILVER is always in the hunt; we'll be looking for him to be on or near the lead early and sticking around late.
- 6 SHIR GAIN paced a HUGE final half to finish second best last week; just needs a good trip to be a serious factor here.
- 4 SHOW STOP made up a lot of ground and passed horses last time; this appears to be a great spot for him to pop.
- 6 NO BETTOR PARADE comes in off a claim and now makes his second start back off a rest; we'll expect more this week.