It's now very late in the stakes season and it's time for the Alberta 'showcase showdown' with the rich Super Finals program carded for Saturday, November 2, at Century Mile.
The top two- and three-year-olds will face off against each other in four $75,000 finals, while the 'next-best consolation types' will be chasing after four $15,000 divisions. The finals will take place during the final 4 races, of Saturday night's card, while the consolations go behind the gate in race's 2, 3, 6 and 7.
Race 9 - 2YO Colt Final - $75,000
- 4 DONTPOKETHEDRAGON - a very 'fresh' colt here (only 7 career starts with 7 top 3 finishes - including 3 wins)… He appears versatile enough to race from anywhere, but I like Hall of Famer Keith Clark to send him and take no prisoners here.
- 2 TRIP HAMMER - is always in the hunt… I like his closing style, but wouldn't be surprised to see him ride up close with these. Would like to see him follow a helmet most of the way and then charge home for a top 2 finish.
- 5 JUST MAC - can't find any faults with this one… He seems to want to be on or near the lead in most cases and now adds lasix for the first time. If 'Lightning Mike' can find the right trip for this fella - then a top 3 finish should be a lock.
- 3 WESTCOAST DRAGON - doesn't appear to have much gate speed… Looks like he can rough it a bit - if needed - and with his good final quarter speed he should be in the thick of things coming for home.
Race 10 - 2YO Filly Final - $75,000
- 3 SNOW SHARK - maybe Keith Clark comes right back… We've got another 'always-on-the-board-finisher' here from 6 starts (including 3 wins). Nice gate speed will see this on or near the lead. Loving that 27.4 kicker to win her prep race on the 11th.
- 9 BLUE STAR DREAMING - finds herself leaving from the back tier… Had she drawn better - I may have put her in the top spot, but she'll be racing from behind and that could just be what gets her beat here. Regardless - she's a top 2 player all the way.
- 6 TREASURE HORIZON - it's tough to find a weak spot in the girl's armour… She can blast and she race well from off the pace - that's what makes her a must play to finish in the top 3 for the glamour girls.
- 4 MISS ITUNES - circled them last week over an off track… She may not flash the speed that my top 2 show, but she is showing signs of improvement in recent starts. Giving her a shot to hit the Superfecta here.
Race 11 - 3YO Filly Final - $75,000
- 8 ROCKIN MYSTERY - is not taking back here… She's been avenging her Don Byrne placing since mid-September and I see her hitting the finish line first for the 6th consecutive time. Put her on top!
- 5 MRS SUHWIGGINS - will be trying for a seat up close… I see her blasting and waiting on my top choice to cover her up. She could be best of the rest, here, if it all works out.
- 9 HOTTIEONTHEHORIZON - this speed threat gets the trailing spot… 4 of her last 5 wins have been on the lead and she won't be on the front here. She's been enjoying B.C., but now she meets much tougher.
- 2 GIN TWIST - needing a trip against these… She may not beat them, but she's as good as any of the rest to complete the top 4. Driver Keith Clark gets another OK shot at some Super Final cash.
Race 12 - 3YO Colt Final - $75,000
- 3 OUTLAWGRABBINGEARS - very tough to go against… Bettors had the wrong idea, in his latest, when they made him the favourite from post 8. He'll be the fave again this week, but he won't be sitting last.
- 1 JEWELS DRAGON - has to leave a hundred here… He's been showing HUGE improvement in recent starts and he gets that rail advantage to work with. If he can sit 2 - he can hit the Exactor.
- 2 CRACKLE N BURN - tossing out his latest… You can expect a better trip and a different race horse this time out. There was no interest, in his latest, other than brushing home in 27.1 to be ready for today.
- 9 OUTLAW GUNSABLAZIN - he can go with these… The last time he left the trailing spot - he was a bang-up 2nd best to my top play, here, race timed in 1:51.4. He's capable of better if the right trip is there.
Best of luck to all of those competing on Saturday night at Century Mile! I'll be watching and cheering from London, Ontario…
- 4-2-5-3 (play the $1 PICK 4 - 2-3-4-5 / 3-9 / 5-8 / 1-3 - $32)