This role requires a high level of discretion with excellent communication and administrative skills, strong detail-orientation, and proven abilities in organization, time management, and diplomacy.
This full-time position is based at the Century Mile Racetrack next to the Edmonton International Airport.
The Licensing Clerk reports to the Manager of Racing Supervision and Security and works closely with the Board of Harness Judges and Board of Thoroughbred Stewards, Official Veterinarians and Security Investigators in a variety of administrative and support functions as well as ensuring all racing participants are licensed to race.
- Provide administrative assistance and support to the Board of Judges/Stewards, Official Veterinarian and Security Investigator:
- Assist in preparing rulings and their distribution, record keeping of rulings and input to the Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) database
- Prepare and maintain record keeping of daily Reports and their distribution
- Assisting with the needs of the other Licensing offices in Alberta
- Preparation of correspondence as required
- Input and maintaining licensee records and checking each race program for licences.
- Managing incoming telephone calls, faxes and email enquiries.
- Assisting other jurisdictions with enquiries and reports.
- Thoroughbred Veterinarian administrative support:
- Preparation of race day inspection reports
- Maintaining the Master Lasix list
- Maintaining the records of all horses racing
- Ensure distribution of reports to all other departments
- Assisting the Manager of Racing Supervision and Security with any project work as required.
- Completing Directives on rule changes and their distribution.
- Association of Racing Commissioners International (ARCI) and the database input of all Licensing participants and the category of their licence.
- Banking deposits for Horse Racing Alberta as well as the Alberta Standardbred Horse Association (ASHA) and post office for mail pick up.
- Other duties as required.
- Training in Office Administration or related field, or equivalent would be considered an asset.
- Strong overall computer and database management skills with proficiency using MS Word and other related office application
- Minimum two years’ experience providing administrative support to senior or executive management.
- Knowledge of Horse Racing in Alberta is desirable.
- Ability to take direction and thoroughly complete requested tasks accurately and on schedule
- Must demonstrate sound judgment and understand parameters of the role, demonstrate initiative and be proactive as required
- Possess exceptional detail-oriented skill
- Ability to communicate with external and internal staff and stakeholders in a courteous, professional manner in person and on the telephone, using diplomacy, tact, and discretion at all times
- Present yourself professionally and with maturity in appearance, conduct, attitude, and approach
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to effectively handle conflict and “difficult people” while promoting harmonious and respectful relationships
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with little supervision when dealing with routine matters
- Exhibit self-awareness by identifying gaps in existing knowledge/skills sets
Closing Date: October 7, 2019
Applications may also be mailed to:
Suite 720, 9707-110 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2L9