Late in the stakes season and now it's time for the Alberta 'showcase showdown' with the rich 'Super Finals' program carded for Saturday, November 17, at Century Downs. The top two and three-year-olds face off against each other in four $75,000 Finals, while the 'next-best' will be chasing after four $15,000 Consolations. The Super Finals will take place during the final four races, of Saturday afternoon's card, while the Consolations go behind the gate in the first four dashes.
Race 7 2YO Filly Super Final - $75,000
- 5 ROCKIN MYSTERY - has three straight victories coming in and now trainer Chris Lancaster adds lasix. Looking for driver Brandon Campbell to 'cowboy' this one up early and go unchallenged throughout. She looks much the best on paper here - 'key' her in both the PICK 5 & PICK 4.
- 6 GIN TWIST - was good enough for second-best to the top choice, here, in her latest. She does show breaking issues in the past - she'll need to behave for any shot in this one.
- 9 MAXSAMIAN - will have to race from off the pace again, leaving from the trailing spot, but she can grab a share against these. She's a 'must-play' for the TRI and SUPERFECTA.
- 4 JEDI TRICKS - is the Cinderella story in this race and she's certainly showing great form coming in, but can she keep it going? If she gets any kind of trip at all - she can be heard from.
Race 8 2YO C & G Super Final - $75,000
- 6 CRACKLE N BURN - for a Super Final upset! He shows great speed on the end of his miles and if there happens to be an early speed battle - it could set up for him late. Beware of this closer!
- 4 OUTLAWGRABBINGEARS - he's tough to go against, but there's just no value in backing him for the win. He's the richest on paper and he deserves to be the fave, but I'm thinking upset.
- 2 I AMA ROCKET - was all dressed up with no place to go last time. He has won against the pair I have selected, ahead of him, but he'll need some luck, in this field of nine, to do it again.
- 1 HF THEGREATPUMPKIN - he's a hunch play for me in here. He gets the rail advantage, here, plus a Mike Hennessy catch-drive. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well on this day.
Race 9 3YO Filly Super Final - $75,000
- 3 CUSTARD LITE - has been a real nice filly since adding lasix in mid-July. A 9-time winner this season and I think she can handle this group for her richest win to date. Put her on top!
- 7 BEARCAT JOSI - tough post for this miss, but she's on great form coming in. It'll be interesting to see where driver Jamie Gray gets her settled early. She's a must play at a juicy 8/1 on the ML.
- 2 BORN A DRAGON - is an early speed threat and she'll be trying to stick around late with these. If she makes front and gets left alone, on the lead, she could be very tough to take down.
- 5 CUSDMAGICDRAGON - got stung in the early going, last time, so maybe it'll be a change in tactics here. we're expecting her to take lots of tote board action once again.
Race 10 3YO C & G Super Final - $75,000
- 5 EXIT SMILING - was much the best in the Maverick Final - winning by almost double-digit lengths and co-owner/trainer/driver Jamie Gray barely even asked him. Top call again!
- 4 PARADISE HILL - had traffic troubles last time and that shouldn't happen here. He gets a great post to work with and if riding along up close - he'll be heard from at some point. Beware!
- 1 MORTGAGE MY VILLA - gets the rail and will look to use it to his advantage here. He's definitely worth a look for the TRI and JACKPOT HI5.
- 2 YANKEE UP - has been a bit of a fringe player, but was the 'next-best' to our top choice, here, in his latest effort over Century Downs. If playing the HI5 - he belongs in it.
Sugar's Key Ticket Plays
- Race 3 PICK 5 - 123579 / 27 / 234568 / 139 / 5 - $43.20 (20 CENT ticket)
- Race 7 PICK 4 - 5 / 124569 / 2357 / 45 - $48 ($1 ticket)
Best of luck to all of those competing on Saturday at Century Downs. I'll be watching and cheering from London, Ontario...
*FREE Super Finals Program https://www.cnty.com/fileadmin/content/operations/centurydowns/race_day_programs/November17_GUTS.pdf