Thank you for your interest in the HRA Backstretch Scholarship program. In order for your application to be considered, the following criteria must be met:
- You must be either a HRA licensed full time worker at a licensed Alberta racetrack or a member of the immediate family (i.e., daughter or son) of a HRA licensed racetrack worker.
- Immediate family of HRA employees, full time racetrack personnel of Northlands Park or Stampede Park, or people employed full time directly by the Alberta Standardbred Horse Association (ASHA), the Horsemen’s Benevolent & Protective Association (HBPA), the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (CTHS) Alberta Division, or the Alberta Quarter Horse Racing Association (AQHRA), ARE NOT ELIGIBLE for this scholarship program.
- Your sponsor must be a member in good standing of one of the horsemen’s associations listed above and must be identified on Page 1 of your application.
- You must be registered as a full time student at an approved institution in the Province of Alberta. If you as a student, for any reason, withdraw from the educational institution, the scholarship is terminated.
- Your application must include a short essay explaining why you wish to receive a HRA Backstretch Scholarship, and what your goals will be following graduation.
- You must provide a complete academic transcript for all high school and post secondary courses taken. These transcripts must be provided at the time of application.
Upon approval of your application, the funds will be paid directly to the educational institution on your behalf. The list of approved institutions is attached.
The maximum grant available is $2,000 per academic year. No applicant will be granted more than four scholarships from this program for the duration of the applicant’s post secondary studies. Up to ten HRA scholarships are awarded annually on the basis of meeting the outlined criteria, academic excellence, merit, financial need, and racing background and involvement.
The deadline for applications for the upcoming academic year is September 30th.
If you meet all of the above criteria, you are invited to submit your application to the HRA. Please ensure that your application is fully and completely filled out to ensure a prompt response.
Manager of Backstretch Programs
Horse Racing Alberta