The Backstretch Foundation (previously known as the Chaplaincy Board) is a non-profit organization made up of a group of volunteers from the backstretch that get together to discuss and plan how to provide a better quality of life possible for all backstretch workers. Backstretch workers would include anyone that makes their living as a Horse Racing Alberta licensee at any recognized Alberta race track.
The season is almost over and it’s been a busy one for the Backstretch Foundation. This is the last newsletter of the season. Thank you to all who have attended events and helped us this year.
Awards for September
Groom of the week:
- September 6th – Jerry Murphy
- September 20th – Mike Cox
- September 27th – Lois Lewis
- Backstretch Person – Wayne Miller
- Pony Person – Jennifer Hunt
- Exercise Rider – Miguel Flores
- Shedrow of the month – Linda Kropius Racing Stable
- Powder Puff Derby – Congratulations to all the participants and organizers of the Powder Puff Derby. A grand total of over $18,000.00 was raised for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation! Thank you to the whole racing industry for coming together to support such an important cause that has affected many.
- Congratulations to the AB Breeders Fall Classic Day Pony costume winners – 1st place was Kyia Moore, 2nd Hannah Twomey, and 3rd Kirsty Nault. Thank you to all who participated; it’s a great addition to the day!
- Get well wishes going to Trainer Judy Cross, who is in the Rockyview hospital in Calgary.
- Shannon Beauregard silent auction – Thank you to all of those who donated items, and to all the people who supported by bidding on the items. A total of just over $4000.00 was raised!
- Trainers wanting to add their name to a list of public Trainers accepting clients please stop by and see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office to leave your information.
- Any employers interested in hiring an Olds College student next year, please see Theresa Sealy for details and get your name on a list.
- The Olds College Exercise Rider Program will be looking for borrowed horses for their upcoming session in January 2015. For more information see Theresa Sealy.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a backstretch HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy. Your applications must be in by October 17th.