Backstretch Awards for July
Groom of the week:
- July 5th – Gerardo Rivera
- July 12th – Laura Ireland
- July 19th – Martine Hernandez Franco
- July 26th – Amanda Smith
- Backstretch Person – Rogelio Lopez
- Pony Person – Robbin Martens
- Exercise Rider – Curtis Ellis
- Shedrow of the month – Bob Kingston Racing Stable
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in August!
- Backstretch Baseball Tournament – August 5th at Borden Park diamonds. Deadline for entries is August 2nd – 10 players constitute a team and each team must have 3 ladies. The Backstretch Foundation is only responsible for the BBQ and prizes this year, so for registering your team and any rules or game info please see Eddie Martinez. Lunch will start at 11:30 am and the ball must drop for the first game at 12:00. Come on over, have some lunch and cheer for your favorite team!
- Canadian Derby Golf Classic - will be held Thursday August 14th at the Raven Crest Golf and Country Club, 251-153 Avenue Edmonton. Check in at 12:30 and shot gun start at 1:30pm. Registration fee is $125.00. Your fee includes your green fee, cart, goody bag, steak dinner, and prizes. Entries will be taken with Jason Teague at 780-471-7275 or at the HBPA office in Edmonton.
- Maggie McLeod farewell party – Sunday August 17th at 1:00, Floyd Arthur Shedrow. Everyone is welcome to come by and share memories of our dear Maggie. Refreshments will be served.
- HBPA Annual General Meeting - Thursday August 21st, 5:30 pm at the Northlands Park Sky Paddock. All members are encouraged to attend. Sandwiches and beverages will be served.
- Racing at Alberta Downs – There will be flat Turf racing as well as harness racing at Alberta Downs on August 24th! Come on out and support the races. For more information call – 403-786-8697 or 403-606-3653
- Powder Puff Derby –at Northlands Park on Saturday September 13th. This race is for women only that have never rode in an official race, to ride during the racing card at Northlands. All funds will go to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. More details will be on the HRA Backstretch Foundation Facebook page as they come in.
- The C.T.H.S. (Alberta Division) is pleased to announce that it will be hosting the Second Annual Art Show Opening Galaon Friday, September 19th, 2014 at Northlands Park, Edmonton Alberta. This equine art show and reception will showcase the talents of Canada’s equine artists. Deadline for submissions is September 2nd 2014. For more information contact the CTHS of AB office at 403-229-3609.
- Welcome Back to our friend Sugar Doyle! Sugar is spending his holidays here with us in Alberta. Great to see him.
- Thoughts and prayers go out to the backstretch horsemen that have been injured in the last month. It’s been a tough one.
- Backstretch Foundation Updates – Please “like” our Backstretch Foundation Facebook page to follow any up to the minute updates that come in at https://www.facebook.com/HraBackstretchFoundation
- Anyone who may be interested in taking the upcoming sessions of the Olds College racetrack programs, get your applications in before September 1st. Exercise Rider test dates will be September 22nd and 23rd at Olds College. There are scholarships available to licensed horsemen. For more information see Theresa Sealy.
- Kate Ferrigan Massage and Reiki Therapy –My name is Kate Ferrigan and I am the massage therapist at Northlands Park. I am easily located in the jockeys room here at the park. My rates will go up August 15th to $70/hour or $35/30 minutes. If you need a deep tissue massage or for relaxation, please give me a call at 780-977-5806.
- Dental, eye, and hearingsubsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The Learning Center is open weekdays 12:00-5:00, and race days 11:00-4:00. The Learning Center offers 5 computer stations with printer, wi-fi, fax services, library area, games, and puzzles!
- Fundscrip Gift card fundraiser – Need a gift card for a last minute gift or special occasion? How about buying a meal or gifts for your crew? Stop by and see Theresa Sealy or Jeanette Haggan to buy gift cards and support the Backstretch Foundation!
Inspiration for August – The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.