Backstretch Foundation Newsletter
The Backstretch Foundation is getting ready to start another season. We are looking forward to a great year but are in need of some volunteers. If you would consider becoming involved in planning and helping with events for your fellow horsemen please see any of your Foundation members:
- Twylla Bensmiller
- Amanda Gregory
- Amber Putz
- Kyia Moore
- Lianne Knechtel
- Misty Macdonald
- Jim Haggan
- Jeanette Haggan
- Theresa Sealy
- Jessi Wyatt
- Nastia Zemtsov
Reminder of our objective:
- Advocate for backstretch employees
- Improve quality of life for backstretch workers
Our backstretch monthly Awards will start again beginning in May. The awards are as follows:
Monthly awards – Backstretch person, exercise rider, and pony person.
Shedrow of the month – Award goes to the barn with the best appearance and respect for each other and neighbors.
Weekly – groom of the week chosen by an anonymous horseman.
New award for 2014 – Best dressed pony person – Every month the Foundation will pick a race day for best dressed pony. We will give you a theme for the day, and you will be judged on yourself and your pony in accordance with the “theme of the month”. The first date will be Saturday May 31st with a “Hawaiian” theme.
- Fundscrip Gift card fundraiser – This program lets us earn cash rebates for the Backstretch based on items you buy and use every day like groceries, gas, and household items. All you have to do is pay your purchases with gift cards bought at face value. Instead of paying with cash or debit card you use your gift card that you purchase through the Backstretch Foundation. Please see Theresa Sealy or Jeanette Haggan for more details.
- 50/50 tickets – Will be sold on a regular basis in the backstretch by Foundation members. Winners will be announced!
- Trainer’s test – Anyone who is planning to write their Trainers or Assistant Trainers for 2014, the next test day will be an evening in May. Anyone needing more information please see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office.
- The 2013 Night of Champions Saturday May 10th - 6:00 PM Reception, * 7:00 pm Dinner and Awards. Tickets are $85.00/ticket. To order tickets, please contact the CTHS Alberta office at 403-229-3609. Matrix Hotel - Toll-free Reservations: 866-465-8150 Direct: 780-429-2861
- Groom of the year (2013) – The Backstretch Foundation will be awarding a 2013 “Groom of the Year” award at the Night of Champions. Please nominate your favorite groom by putting them on the list at LJ’s Tack shop. The three top nominees will receive tickets to the awards banquet.
- “Welcome Back” BBQ – will be held on Sunday May 18th at 5:30 at the backstretch vet clinic compliments of Dr. Steve Smith and the Backstretch Foundation. There will also be an “Amazing Money Hunt” competition with a chance to win cash and some great prizes!
- CTHS AB is holding their: 2nd Annual Art Competition - Capture the spirit of Thoroughbreds and/or Thoroughbred racing! Contest open to all Alberta students enrolled in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Deadline for entries is June 2, 2014. For more information go to www.cthsalta.com
- Sunday track closing for training will start on June 8th.
- Congratulations to Amie Pooli and Sheena Ryan on their Sovereign award nominations for Leading Apprentice Jockey of 2013!
- Congratulations to Misty LaPierre on the birth of her baby girl Charlotte.
- The Learning Center is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 12:00 – 5:00 and Wednesday and Friday from 11:00 – 4:00. Wi-Fi is now available!
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The instructors and students of Exercise Rider and Groom School programs would like to thank all of the trainers and backstretch workers for their help and patience during our ongoing learning period. Your participation is necessary and much appreciated for the success of these programs. Congratulations to all of the graduates of these programs. Your hard work and dedication is much welcomed.