The Backstretch Foundation is a non-profit organization made up of a group of volunteers from the backstretch that get together to discuss and plan how to provide a better quality of life possible for all backstretch workers. Backstretch workers would include anyone that makes their living as a Horse Racing Alberta licensee at any recognized Alberta race track.
Backstretch Awards for July
Groom of the week:
- July 4th – Kimberlea Calhoun
- July 11th – Rod Haynes
- July 18th – Emma Bott
- July 25th – Elizabeth Marshall
- Backstretch Person – Dr. Steve Smith
- Pony Person – Rae-Lynn Kropius
- Exercise Rider – Sean Hatton
- Shedrow of the month – Don Gilkyson Racing Stable.
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in August!
- HBPA Election - Ballots must be placed in the envelope addressed to Mr. Kenneth McTavish and must arrive postmarked no later than August 7, 2015. If you prefer, you may vote in person on August 7, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The letter addressed to Kenneth McTavish containing the completed Ballot must be placed in the Ballot box which will be placed at the HBPA office located in the Edmonton Northlands Control Office, on the backstretch.
- Canadian Derby Golf Classic - will be held Thursday August 13th at the Raven Crest Golf and Country Club, 251-153 Avenue Edmonton. Registration fee is $125.00. Your fee includes your green fee, cart, goody bag, dinner, and prizes. Entries will be taken with Jason Teague at 780-471-7275.
- Pam McDougall Celebration of life – Sunday August 16th at 1:00, Paddock Theatre Northlands Park. Everyone is welcome to come by and share memories of Pam. Refreshments will be served.
- Trainers Test – August 20th at 5:00 in the Learning Center. If you are interested in writing your test, please come to see Theresa Sealy in the HBPA office for Trainers applications and information.
- Newlywed congratulations to Zakk and Dee Schell. Many happy and healthy years together!
- STARTING THIS YEAR! Any Canadian Bred yearling that passed through the CTHS BC sale, the CTHS Alberta sale or CTHS Manitoba sale in 2015 will be eligible for the restricted Sales Stakes in any of the provinces starting in 2016. Each of these horses will be eligible for $300,000 in Sales Stakes purses based on 2015 purse levels (purses for any of restricted Sales Stakes may be adjusted on a yearly basis).
- Backstretch Foundation Updates – Please “like” our Backstretch Foundation Facebook page to follow any up to the minute updates that come in at https://www.facebook.com/HraBackstretchFoundation
- For the latest racing news please go to www.thehorses.com for current articles. Julie Brewster is the new social media assistant for Horse Racing Alberta and you will see her often in the backstretch and at the races all over Alberta! “Like” the Horse Racing Alberta Facebook page and “follow” on Twitter and Instagram.
- Anyone who may be interested in taking the upcoming sessions of the Olds College racetrack programs, get your applications in before September 1st. Exercise Rider test dates will be in early October at the college. There are scholarships available to licensed horsemen. For more information see Theresa Sealy.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The Learning Center is open weekdays 12:00-5:00, and race days 11:00-4:00. The Learning Center offers 5 computer stations with printer, wi-fi, fax services, library area, games, and puzzles!
- Art sale and auction in support of the Backstretch Foundation has been moved to Fall Classic weekend. There will be many items up for offer including numerous Fred Stone framed prints and plates. All proceeds will go to the Backstretch Foundation that helps horsemen at racetracks all over Alberta. We are also accepting any donated items for the auction. More info to come.
- Fundscrip Gift card fundraiser – Need a gift card for a last minute gift or special occasion? How about buying a meal or gifts for your crew? Stop by and or Jeanette Haggan to buy gift cards and support the Backstretch Foundation!
Inspiration for August – The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.