Summer is here and the racing meets are in full swing all over Alberta.
Backstretch Awards for June
Groom of the week:
- June 6th – Jill Klubi
- June 13th – Jodie Hiesenger
- June 20th – Isaac Sanchez
- June 27th – Juan Alejandro Vega Vazquez
- Backstretch Person – Rod Haynes (Little Rod)
- Pony Person – Misty Lynn LaPierre
- Exercise Rider – Sebastion Sang
- Shedrow of the month – Rob Chabot Stable
Congratulations to all of the winners! Good luck to everyone in July!
- Backstretch Dinner and a Movie Night Tuesday July 14th at 6:00 at the Maria Goretti Center 11050 90 St NW, - Right beside the Stadium on 112. We will have a spaghetti dinner and cash bar with a current movie afterward. Tickets are $10 each available from any foundation member (Theresa Sealy, Emma Bott, Kyia Moore, Jorge Espitia, Twylla Bensmiller, Sarah Hoffman, Hannah Twomey, Jim Haggan, Jeanette Haggan, Misty Macdonald, Amber Putz, or Amanda Gregory). Purchase your tickets in advance for $10 each or $20 at the door.
- Joe Hain (Hungarian Joe) Soccer Tournament and BBQ – There will be a Backstretch Soccer tournament and BBQ in memory of longtime horseman Joe Hain on a Sunday in July starting at 1:00 pm at the Borden Park Soccer field. Please see Quincy Welch for more information. BBQ is Free for all HRA licensees and their families.
- Trainers Test – A mutually determined date at 5:00 in the Learning Center. If you are interested in writing your test, please come to see Theresa Sealy in the HBPA office for Trainers applications and information.
- Bedrock Farms fundraiser for the Stollery Children’s hospital – July 26th from 1:00-4:00 at Bedrock Farms in Beaumont. Everyone is welcome!
- Art sale and auction in support of the Backstretch Foundation on August 14th starting at 5:30 pm at the 2nd floor Northlands Park Playbook Lounge. There will be many items up for offer including numerous Fred Stone framed prints and plates. All proceeds will go to the Backstretch Foundation that helps horsemen at racetracks all over Alberta. We are also accepting any donated items for the auction. Admission is free!
- Fundscrip Gift card fundraiser – Need a gift card for a last minute gift or special occasion? How about buying a meal or gifts for your crew? Stop by and see Theresa Sealy or Jeanette Haggan to buy gift cards and support the Backstretch Foundation!
- Condolences to Carol and family of Andrew Cutteridge. Andrew was a groom at the track in Alberta, and his family has been involved for years. Memorial plans to be announced.
- Get well wishes to injured jockey Skylar Whiteshield. Thank you to all who helped with the hot dog fundraiser.
- Kate Ferrigan Massage and Reiki Therapy – Hello everyone! My name is Kate Ferrigan and I am the massage therapist at Northlands Park. I am easily located in the jockeys room here at the park. I charge $70/hour or $35/30 minutes. If you need a deep tissue massage or for relaxation, please give me a call to book. I also do Reiki therapy which is a form of energy healing. Please call or text me at 780-977-5806.
- Backstretch Foundation Updates – Please “like” our Backstretch Foundation Facebook page to follow any up to the minute updates that come in at https://www.facebook.com/HraBackstretchFoundation
- For the latest racing news please go to www.thehorses.com for current articles. Julie Brewster is the new social media assistant for Horse Racing Alberta and you will see her often in the backstretch and at the races all over Alberta! “Like” the Horse Racing Alberta facebook page and “follow” on Twitter and Instagram.
- Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy
- The Learning Center is open dark weekdays 12:00-5:00, and race days 11:00-4:00. The Learning Center offers 5 computer stations with printer, wi-fi, fax services, library area, movies, games, and puzzles!