|Twylla Bensmiller||Amanda Gregory||Amber Putz||Kyia Moore|
|Lianne Knechtel||Misty Macdonald||Cody Anderson||Jim Haggan|
|Jeanette Haggan||Sugar Doyle||Theresa Sealy|
Reminder of our objective:
- Advocate for backstretch employees
- Improve quality of life for backstretch workers
Our backstretch monthly Awards will start again beginning in May. The awards are as follows:
- Monthly awards – Backstretch person, exercise rider, and pony person.
- Shedrow of the month – Award goes to the barn with the best appearance and respect for each other and neighbors.
- Weekly – groom of the week chosen by an anonymous horseman.
- 50/50 tickets – Will be sold on a regular basis in the backstretch by Foundation members. Winners will be announced!
HBPA AGM – Monday April 29th at 5:30 pm. All members are encouraged to attend.
Trainer’s test – Anyone who is planning to write their Trainers or Assistant Trainers for 2013, the next test day will be the evening of May 6th. Anyone needing more information please see Theresa Sealy at the HBPA office.
- “Welcome Back” Dinner and Dance – Saturday May 18th at the Norwood Legion. Doors will open at 6:00 and Spaghetti dinner is at 7:00. Tickets will be $10.00 each up to May 15th, and $20 from the 16th – 18th available from your backstretch foundation board members. We will be selling 50/50 tickets and offering door prizes! Sugar’s exciting Daily Double game will be held that night for some extra spring cash in your pocket!
CTHS AGM – Saturday May 25th 11:00 am Northlands Park Sky Paddock.
- The 2012 Night of Champions - Saturday, May 25th 2013 to be held at the Matrix Hotel in Edmonton. Keynote speaker - Michael "Pinball" Clemons - 6:00 PM Cocktails * 7:00 PM Awards and Dinner. Tickets are $85.00/ticket. To order tickets, please contact the CTHS Alberta office at 403-229-3609. Matrix Hotel - Toll-free Reservations: 866-465-8150 Direct: 780-429-2861
- Groom of the year (2012) – The Backstretch Foundation will be awarding a 2012 “Groom of the Year” award at the Night of Champions. Please nominate your favorite groom by putting them on the nomination list at LJ’s Tack shop. The three top nominees will be announced at the “Welcome Back” dinner and dance and ballot boxes will be open at the event. The top 3 nominees will receive tickets to the awards banquet where the overall winner will receive their award.
CTHS AB is holding their:
- First Annual Art Competition - Capture the spirit of Thoroughbreds and/or Thoroughbred racing! Contest open to all Alberta students enrolled in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Deadline for entries is June 1, 2013. For more information go to www.cthsalta.com
Congratulations to Scott Williams in his Sovereign award for Leading Apprentice Jockey of 2012!
The Learning Center is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 12:00 – 5:00 and Wednesday and Friday race days from 11:00 – 4:00. Wi-Fi is now available!
Dental, eye, and hearing subsidies from HBPA are available. You must have held a HRA license for a minimum of 90 days to be eligible. Pick up forms from Theresa Sealy.
- The instructors and students of Exercise Rider and Groom School programs would like to thank all of the trainers and backstretch workers for their help and patience during our ongoing learning period. Your participation is necessary and much appreciated for the success of these programs. Congratulations to all of the graduates of these programs. Your hard work and dedication is much welcomed.