Provincial Regulatory Bodies, Canadian Horse Racing Associations, Horse Persons Groups
The Canadian Pari-Mutuel Agency's (CPMA) 2016 Elimination Guidelines Booklet
The CPMA 2016 Elimination Guidelines Booklet is now available for distribution. (see pdf attachment at bottom of this article)
Please note the title change for this document, as it replaces all previous editions of the CPMA 's Schedule of Drugs booklet.
Changes will take effect March 1, 2016. Several elimination guidelines have been removed or significantly modified. A summary of these changes is attached. Prominent changes include;
- Corticosteroids: Many elimination guidelines for corticosteroids have been lengthened. Short acting corticosteroids now have at least a 48 hour elimination guideline. Longer acting corticosteroids have lengthier elimination guideline periods.
- Anabolic steroids: Elimination guidelines have been removed.
Copies of the 2016 Elimination Guidelines booklet have been sent to Provincial Regulatory Bodies and to the racing office of race-courses across Canada. Requests for copies may also be made at no charge by calling 1-800-268-8835 or by Email at
- the requested number of copies of the 2016 Elimination Guidelines booklet,
- your name or organization,
- your full mailing address, and
- your telephone number.
As many of the elimination guidelines have changed and many have been lengthened, CPMA wishes to highlight to industry participants the importance of carefully reading the new booklet when considering the use of therapeutic medications in race horses in Canada to avoid the risk a positive test. In addition and further to our notice to industry of May 29th, 2014, the information in this booklet should not be relied upon when using compounded medications.
CPMA recommends that owners and trainers consult their own veterinarian for advice and guidance in the use of all drugs and medications in their horses.