This particular horse race is the $1 Million Pepsi North America Cup, taking place at Mohawk Raceway Saturday night. From post seven Sunshine Beach @ 15-1 will try for the upset against the best three-year-old pacing 'glamour boys' in the world.
Here's the complete field:
Post – Horse – Driver – Morning Line Odds
- Apprentice Hanover – Jody Jamieson – 20-1
- Vegas Vacation – Scott Zeron – 5-2
- Fool Me Once – Sylvain Filion – 4-1
- Captaintreacherous – Tim Tetrick – 2-1
- Twilight Bonfire – David Miller – 30-1
- Wake Up Peter – Ron Pierce – 8-1
- Sunshine Beach – Chris Christoforou – 15-1
- Odds On Equuleus – John Campbell – 8-1
- Captive Audience – Randy Waples – 8-1
- Martini Hanover – Dave Palone – 25-1
"I got in on this colt as a yearling," says Bertrand. "(Trainer) Mark Steacy picked him out at the Harrisburg Sale in the Fall of 2011."
The son of world champion Somebeachsomewhere was an $85,000 yearling purchase and now boasts an impressive 3-1-1 record from 9 career starts. With over $88,000 earned and a speed badge of 1:49.2 - taken in a 'Somebeachsomewhere Stakes division', on June 1st, this colt has never been better than he is right now.
"That 1:49.2 win was, for sure, a highlight for me in racing," adds Bertrand. "I've had other great moments, as well, with a few of my favourites (Takemtodakleaners and Catch A Dragon)."
Bertrand plans on being front and centre for the $1 Million spectacle Saturday night. "Oh, I'll be outside and at the fence," she says. "And as close to the finish line as possible."
The NA Cup is carded as Race 7 with a scheduled post time of 7:38 pm (Mountain Time).
We'll be watching and cheering for you Diane... Best of luck!